- Relax your shoulders and upper chest, draw air in slowly in through your nose, count to 5.
- Breathe in by relaxing and expanding your belly; so your stomach rises. Hold for 3 or more seconds.
- Breathe out through your mouth as if breathing through a straw. Nice and slow.
- If you find it hard to breath low and slow, put an item on your belly. This will help you focus!
- Find a quiet place where you feel comfortable. Sit down. Close your eyes. Breathe slowly.
- Become aware of each breath. Concentrate on how your body feels.
- Try focusing on one peaceful through or create a picture in your mind of a beautiful place.
- If your mind wanders back to the problem creating the stress, make yourself return to the peaceful thought and stay there for a few minutes.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Fingers/Hands: Tighten your hands into fists.
- Forearms: Bend your wrists up and down.
- Shoulders: Lift your shoulders to your ears and hold.
- Upper Neck/Back: Tuck your chin to your chest.
- Face: Scrunch face and release.
- Belly: Squeeze and release.
- Legs: Push feet into the floor and release
It’s helpful to use this script and practice regularly.